FACULTY » Professors
David Mappes, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Systematic Theology & Bible Exposition
A.A. ITT Technical Institute
B.A., Ottawa University
M.Div., Western Conservative Baptist Seminary
Th.M., Western Conservative Baptist Seminary
Ph.D., Dallas Theological Seminary
Dr. David Mappes joined the faculty of Baptist Bible Seminary in 2008 and serves as the program director of the new M.A. in Biblical Apologetics. He has served both in pastoral and teaching roles since 1989. He was a Bible professor and department chair at Southwestern College, as well as a teacher of Bible and theology at Cedarville University. Dr. Mappes has published a number of both technical and pastoral related journal articles addressing both contemporary issues as well as scholarly issues. In addition, he and his wife, Karin, have developed the exposition of Acts entitled The Acts of the Apostles: The Birth, Formation, and Expansion of the Church in the format of an Adult Study published by Regular Baptist Press and they also co-authored a popular article on ministering to children with special needs. He regularly participates and submits papers in various conferences, including the regional and national Evangelical Theological Society meetings along with the Midwestern Scholars Conference. Dr. Mappes earned his Ph.D. from Dallas Theological Seminary with a dissertation on eldership, discipline, and the Pastoral Epistles. He enjoys hiking, amateur radio, and home building projects. Both he and Karin also enjoy ministering to students in their home.
Publications from Dr. Mappes include:
- "Love Wins by Rob Bell: A Biblical and Theological Critique," The Journal of Ministry and Theology, Spring 2012.
- "Recalculating: Why We're Still Here After Another Round of Failed Rapture Predictions" Baptist Bulletin, May/ June 2011, 30-34.
- "Sorting Out the Players in the Certainty Debate," The Baptist Bulletin, Nov/ Dec 2010, 20-22.
- "Current Trends in Hermeneutics and Theology: Certainty and Simplicity," Paraklesis (Summer 2010), 1, 6.
- "What is Faith in Luke 18:1-8" Bibliotheca Sacra (July-September 2010), 292-306.
- "Moral Virtues Associated with Eldership" Bibliotheca Sacra (April-June, 2003): 202-18. (partial read)
formats, degrees, concentrations...
formats, degrees, comparison...
apply online, request info, visit...
professors, bios, dean's blog...
RESOURCES & EVENTS
council, barndollar lectureship, publications...
church planting, New York City, vision...
STUDENT LIFE & LINKS
campus & community, moodle, portal...
doctrine, accreditation, fast facts...
COSTS & FINANCIAL AID
costs, scholarships, resources...
career services, transcripts, events...
help students today...
navigate to other BBC&S websites...