ACADEMICS » DEGREES & MAJORS » Literature
STUDY THE WRITTEN WORD
The elegance of literature is a testament to God as creator of all things beautiful. The Bible stands alone as the one inspired Word of God, but it cannot be ignored as a piece of literary art. In the Literature major, you will develop a deep appreciation for the written word while learning to view the Bible as both divine truth and literary masterpiece.
You will study classical and contemporary works of art, learning history through the eyes of authors around the world. Through a variety of art and literature courses, and professors who are passionate about worshiping God through the arts, you will be well-prepared for graduate study or a broad range of careers.
Most definitely, you are a reader. Your bookshelves are full of both light and heavy reading. You love to analyze what authors have written. You read to think and to be entertained. You enjoy thinking deeply about things that matter. The literary arts offer you a solace to reflect and worship, drawing you closer to God. Pursue your love for literature and get the training you need to use the written word to glorify God.
Meet Dr. Janet Hicks, Professor and Chair of the English and Communications Department, School of Arts and Sciences.
YOU WILL LEARN TO ...
- Interpret literature literally, grammatically, and historically.
- Think and communicate effectively.
- Appreciate both sacred and secular literature.
- Analyze literature through a biblical worldview.
YOU WILL LEAVE BBC WITH ...
- Biblical philosophies of literature and art.
- A broad knowledge base of classical and contemporary literature.
- Well-developed skills for further education.
- Experience in research and literary criticism.
QUICK FACTS ...
- 132 credits
- No internship required.
- The major includes thirty-six credits of electives, so you may choose which survey and genre courses interest you most.
- You will be well-prepared for graduate study in programs like BBC’s Online Literature Master of Arts degree.
YOU COULD BE A ...
- Writer or author
- Library worker
- Spoken word artist
- Teacher or Professor (with further training)
COURSES INCLUDE ...
- Studies in Dramatic Literature
-Works of Shakespeare
- The Short Story
- Introduction to Poetry
- Studies in the Novel
- Themes in Adolescent Literature and Film
- Survey of Biblical Themes
- Creative Nonfiction Writing
- Creative Writing
- Advanced Expository and Criticism
- Fiction Writing
- Contemporary Christian Writing
- Effective Business Communication
SEE MORE IN OUR COLLEGE CATALOG.
For questions or more information, contact Dr. Janet Hicks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
online classes, degrees, adult learners...
apply online, admissions, schedule a visit...
- Overview Page
- Apply Now
- Request Information
- Visit the Campus
- Online Campus Tour
- Degree Completion Program
- Tuition Relief Plan
- International Students
- Dual Enrollment
student links, forms, resources...
campus tour, about the area, security...
fast facts, vision and mission, directions...
programs of study, faculty, accreditation...
calendar, residence hall life, spiritual life...
costs, scholarships & grants, resources...
news, scores, schedules, awards...
career services, transcripts, community...
help students today...
Navigate to other BBC&S websites...