ACADEMICS » DEGREES & MAJORS » Secondary English
LANGUAGE ARTS AND MINISTRY
The written word is powerful and life-changing. There is a direct link between written communication and our understanding of God that is foundational to any educational experience. Students need teachers who are passionate about both language arts and ministry. In the Secondary English Education major, you will learn to help middle and high school students think deeply and biblically about language and literature. The powerful classes taught by highly qualified faculty will prepare you to successfully communicate with students in the classroom and a one-on-one basis.
You’ve always been a reader, and your favorite subject is English or literature. You enjoy thinking deeply about life, philosophy, and the arts. You believe the art of the written word greatly enhances life, and it excites you to see others benefit from it. You have been profoundly impacted by the teachers in your life, and you want to do the same for students
Get the tools and experience you need to teach others about the Savior through the language arts.
YOU WILL LEARN TO ...
- Plan and prepare lessons from your mastery of English content.
- Create engaging classroom learning environments.
- Teach secular knowledge from a biblical perspective.
- Interact with students, parents, and coworkers with integrity and kindness.
YOU WILL LEAVE BBC WITH ...
- Highly developed thinking and teaching skills.
- Helpful resources for teaching.
- Valuable classroom experience.
- Solid biblical foundations and philosophies of teaching English.
QUICK FACTS ...
- 132 Credits
- Ccertified by the Association of Christian Schools International for teaching English in grades 7-12.
- You will be eligible to apply for Pennsylvania state certification which shares reciprocity with most states.
- A semester of student teaching fulfills twelve academic credits. You will be placed in Christian and public classrooms.
- Many students go on to receive master and doctorate degrees. You will be well prepared for graduate study at various graduate schools or BBC’s Master of Education program.
COURSES INCLUDE ...
- Foundations of Literary Criticism
- Educating the English Language Learner
- Psychology of Learning and Education
- British Literature I
- British Literature II
- Advanced English Grammar/Linguistics
- Teaching Literature/Reading in Secondary Schools
- Themes in Adolescent Literature
- Teaching Grammar/Writing in Secondary Schools
For details about the English Education program, contact Dr. Janet Hicks.
ONLINE DISTANCE LEARNING
online classes, degrees, adult learners...
apply online, admissions, schedule a visit...
- Overview Page
- Apply Now
- Request Information
- Visit the Campus
- Online Campus Tour
- Degree Completion Program
- Tuition Relief Plan
- International Students
- Dual Enrollment
student links, forms, resources...
campus tour, about the area, security...
fast facts, vision and mission, directions...
programs of study, faculty, accreditation...
calendar, residence hall life, spiritual life...
COSTS AND FINANCIAL AID
costs, scholarships & grants, resources...
- Overview Page
- Estimated Costs
- Net Price Calculator
- Grants & Scholarships
- Resources and Forms
- Guide to Awards
- Terms & Conditions
- FAFSA Verification
- Billing & Payment
- Gainful Employment
news, scores, schedules, awards...
career services, transcripts, community...
help students today...
Navigate to other BBC&S websites...