ACADEMICS » DEGREES & MAJORS » Communications Emphasis / Writing
THE POWER OF THE WRITTEN WORD
The written word is a powerful avenue for proclaiming the gospel and making a difference for Christ. By combining the science and the art of language, you can create compelling messages that move people to deeper faith in Christ. The Writing major equips you with the knowledge and skills to effectively communicate through a variety of genres including fiction, journalism, creative writing, non-fiction and poetry. You will learn from and be mentored by professors who have extensive experience in the written communication field, having published works in various venues.
Move People to Action
You have a love for words. Your many journals are filled with ideas, thoughts, and stories. You love to bring words to life, making the reader think and respond. Your passion is moving people to action through laughter, deep emotion, or poignant truth. Your greatest desire is to make a difference in the world through the power and beauty of the written word.
Develop your skills and get the tools you need to make a difference around the world through written communication.
Meet Dr. Janet Hicks, Professor and Chair of the English and Communications Department, School of Arts and Sciences.
YOU WILL LEARN TO ...
- Communicate effectively in a variety of venues.
- Produce creative, compelling prose.
- Stimulate thinking and elicit strong response through writing.
- Lead with integrity in journalism and news-related fields.
YOU WILL LEAVE BBC WITH ...
- Sharp writing skills for non-fiction, poetry, short story, prose, fiction, plays, and essay genres.
- Mastery of grammar and linguistics for success in the communications field.
- Biblical foundations and philosophies for communicating Scriptural truth.
- Hands-on experience in journalism, creative writing and business communication.
QUICK FACTS ...
- 130 Credits
- You will spend two semesters gaining first-hand experience in the written communications field, including a semester in a journalism setting.
YOU COULD BE A ...
- Journalist or News Reporter
- Magazine or Newspaper Editor
- Freelance Writer
- Technical Writer
- Web Content Developer
COURSES INCLUDE ...
EN301 Contemporary Christian Writing
EN302 Creative Nonfiction Writing
EN313 Effective Business Communication
EN330 Advanced English Grammar/Linguistics
EN334 Creative Writing
EN336 Introduction to Journalism
EN401 Fiction Writing
SEE MORE IN OUR COLLEGE CATALOG.
For questions or more information, contact Dr. Janet Hicks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ONLINE DISTANCE LEARNING
online classes, degrees, adult learners...
apply online, admissions, schedule a visit...
- Overview Page
- Apply Now
- Request Information
- Visit the Campus
- Online Campus Tour
- Degree Completion Program
- Tuition Relief Plan
- International Students
- Dual Enrollment
student links, forms, resources...
campus tour, about the area, security...
fast facts, vision and mission, directions...
programs of study, faculty, accreditation...
calendar, residence hall life, spiritual life...
COSTS AND FINANCIAL AID
costs, scholarships & grants, resources...
- Overview Page
- Estimated Costs
- Net Price Calculator
- Grants & Scholarships
- Resources and Forms
- Guide to Awards
- Terms & Conditions
- FAFSA Verification
- Billing & Payment
- Gainful Employment
news, scores, schedules, awards...
career services, transcripts, community...
help students today...
Navigate to other BBC&S websites...