November 2012 Update
Steve & Gayle King (1979)
With our thoughts turned towards Thanksgiving 2012 we are really in awe at the way God has worked since last year at this time. With the Apostle John we worship God saying “Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honor, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.” Revelation 7:12. Our God-fearing forefathers in America nearly 400 years ago celebrated with the Indians the first harvest they received in the new world. That was then when they faced a winter needing that harvest to sustain them. They acknowledged their best efforts, the aid of their Indian friends, and God for the bounty and the increase. Today, it is popular in America to say, “Happy Turkey Day” rather than keep the word “Thanksgiving.” As the verse above reflects, to keep the word, “thanksgiving”, is an act of worship and ties us to our dependence upon God for his grace in our lives.
We worship God with thanksgiving and proclaim his “blessing, glory, wisdom, honor, power, and might” for:
- The arrival of the container from the US with personal and ministry items after we came. In the past year we have been able to: distribute clothing to the needy of the civil crisis here and toys to children, distribute thousands of tracts, hundreds of Bibles, gospel booklets of John and Romans, install equipment in the Bible Institute and Benjy Youth Center, and have books and materials on hand for various ministries. Just this past week, we were able to send 50 Bibles, New Testaments in French and Arabic, and hundreds of tracts with a recent graduate to his predominately Muslim village.
- Pastor Parfait was installed as pastor of the church we have worked most closely with the past few years. And just this Sunday, Rodrigue (who accepted Christ in Gayle’s children’s club in 1997) was installed as pastor of Bible Baptist Church which was planted by Andy and Becky Messer.
- Seth Duck and Silas Kohler came from Feb. - April 2012 to help Gayle and me get the ministries at the Benjy Youth Center going. We now have several sports outreaches to churches and the community and a children’s club on Wednesday mornings which has reached many with the Gospel.
- The visit, in April, from Luke and Charlotte Crockett, a delightful young couple (in their late 20s) who came to see how they could minister here. PTL they have been accepted with BMM and are coming to work with us. We know God has answered our prayers and believe they will be great team members to what God is doing here.
- Our third graduation from the Bible Institute and five more men available for full time ministry. We appreciate the Ivorian leadership and board who directs the school.
- Gayle, who was able to go back to the US in Aug. and Sept. to be with her Mom and see her family before God took Mom to heaven on September 27th. The miraculous events of Gayle’s departure towards Brussels and then return to Newark, NJ the same night her Mom passed away demonstrated to us that we need to give Him thanksgiving for his wisdom and power.
- Our life together as a family with Jesus Christ as our foundation and the Bible as our guide, We often sing to each other, “How sweet it is to be loved by you…” Our 30th Wedding anniversary on April 11 was celebrated in October as we took a trip of a lifetime to ISRAEL. Gayle has wanted to do this since her days of teaching the OT at Arlington Baptist. We were completely overwhelmed with joy and at times tears. We saw and visited a great number of biblically significant sites. Also we were able to plant trees in Israel in loving memory: Gayle for her Mom and sister Darla who have passed away; Steve for his dad, Charles King who fought from North Africa and Italy in WW2. We are grateful for our home church, Hope Baptist, who contributed a substantial gift to make this a reality. Thank you Pastor Harris and Church family.
- The prayer and financial support from churches, individuals and families. Also, for the many people on our prayer letter list who uphold us regularly before the Lord.
Wishing everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving…
Love, Steve and Gayle
Return to the Prayer & Praise List